The most advanced parents stopped buying a lot of toys for their children. Why and what should we buy for a baby then?
Two years ago, scientists conducted an interesting study on the effect of toys on children’s mood. The kids were alternately placed in rooms with 4 and 16 toys. In the first room, the children played enthusiastically, fantasized and actively interacted with each other. In the second, a bright delight from the variety of toys was soon replaced by bad mood and anger. And this is not the first experiment to prove that a wide variety of toys has a negative impact on a child’s psyche, and here’s why.
Young children cannot concentrate on more than 5 objects at the same time: if many interesting objects fall into the child’s field of vision, the nervous system is overstrained, which the baby cannot cope with.
Therefore, psychologists do not recommend buying a lot of toys for children. But how can you deny a child what he asks?
There is no need to refuse. If initially a child lives with a limited number of toys, he is more conscious about the process of choosing a new one and is unlikely to make a spontaneous purchase. This is a good foundation for building a personality: this way he will learn to analyze, make informed decisions, take responsibility and appreciate what he has. The child will understand that the main values in life are not toys, but good friends and human communication.
If the baby already has a whole toy store at home, remove some of them, leaving 5-7 items. After a month, replace them with 7 others, and so on. In the event that the child continues to demand toys in stores, agree that he will receive the desired gift for his birthday or any other holiday. So each new toy will bring joy and long-term satisfaction. Avoid spontaneous shopping in supermarkets.
Often, children simply do not understand how to express a lack of attention, a need for love and communication with their parents, so they begin to demand toys, testing parental love.
This is a reason to think about the parenting model and family relationships.
Most parents find it very difficult to learn to refuse a child, since they often equate the satisfaction of children’s whims with love, especially if they devote little time to the family. Of course, every parent wants to give the child all the best and as much as possible, but this is not worth doing.
So, here are 5 universal rules for buying toys:
1. You shouldn’t buy toys “for growth”. A child will not play with a robot at 2 years old – he will simply be scared of it. And if someone close to you brought such a gift, take it away until the child begins to be interested in it.
2. Give preference to simple toys. The simpler the format, the better the imagination develops. From a simple LEGO construction set, a boy can assemble hundreds of different cars and houses, which are often beyond the power of even adults.
3. Buy toys of different categories. There is no need to give several dolls, even if your daughter dreams of becoming a mother of many children. Present, for example, paper dolls for which she can create outfits herself, approaching the process creatively.
4. Give up gadgets. Children under 3 years old are not recommended to use them for more than 5-7 minutes a day, and elementary school students no more than half an hour. This time is determined by scientists on the basis of the physiological and mental indicators of children.
5. Let you and your child have a set of educational games that you play together: memo, chess, checkers, difficult board and educational games. You can replenish it yourself at your discretion – so the child will be drawn to intellectual games, spending time with his parents.
6. Saving on quantity, take care of quality. Choose inexpensive brands from trusted stores.